Interested in learning more about this topic? Here are ideas for further reading.
- Robert Cohen, "Dear Mrs. Roosevelt: Cries for Help from the Depression Generation, and the American Youth Crisis of the 1930s".
(Full text of the article from which this feature was taken. A detailed analysis of the letters and youth issues.)
- Joseph P. Lash, Eleanor and Franklin. New York: New American Library, 1971.
- Betty and Ernest Lindley, A New Deal for Youth: The Story of the National Youth Administration.. New York: Viking Press, 1938.
- Robert McElvaine, Down and Out in the Great Depression: Letters from the Forgotten Man. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1983.
- Richard A. Reiman, The New Deal and American Youth: Ideas and Ideals in a Depression Decade. Athens: University of Georgia Press, 1992.
- Eleanor Roosevelt, "My Mail". An essay by Mrs. Roosevelt about the mail she received while in the White House and her procedures for handling it.
- David Tyack, Robert Lowe, and Elisabeth Hansford, Public Schools in Hard Times: The Great Depression and Recent Years. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1984.
- T. H. Watkins, The Great Depression: America in the 1930s. Boston: Little, Brown and Company, 1993.