Interested in learning more about this topic? Here are ideas for further reading.
- DESIGN Magazine, Vol. 45, No. 6, February 1944. (The entire issue was devoted to the Milwaukee WPA Handicraft Project. Includes articles by Elsa Ulbricht and Mary Kellogg Rice.)
- Maier, Kathryn E., "A New Deal for Local Crafts: Textiles from the Milwaukee Handicrafts Project," Exhibit Catalog, April 28-May 22, 1994, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Art History Gallery. (Catalog contains an excellent overview of the Milwaukee WPA Handicraft Project.)
- O'Sullivan, Betty Danielson, "Milwaukee's WPA Dolls," Doll Reader, May 1987, 139-144.
- Rogowski, Gini and Juene Nowak Wussow, "WPA Dolls", Milwaukee Public Museum web site.
- Quinn, Lois, John Pawasarat, and Laura Serebin, "Jobs for Workers on Relief in Milwaukee County, 1930-1994", February 1995, Employment and Training Institute, Division of Outreach and Continuing Education Extension, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. There is an online summary of this history at www.uwm.edu:80/Dept/ETI/pages/surveys/each/wlsf95.htm.