Comprehension Aid: "The Displaced People"
Getting the Meaning:
- What is the government's right of "eminent domain"?
- What are two reasons "living off the land" became more and more difficult as time went on?
- Explain this statement in your own words: "People can disagree over whether building another freeway is 'for the greater good,' but most would agree that it can make things pretty difficult for people who are asked to leave."
- Which of the statistics provided about people who were relocated was most surprising to you? Why?
- Do you think that the terms of relocation were fair? If not, what would you have done to make them fair?
- Do you think the government would have decided to build a dam in the Norris Basin if, in addition to poor people, there were several hundred rich people who had fancy vacation estates there? Explain.